Paul Labis: This is a personal blog where everyone can read my experiences, ideas and thoughts about programming, latest gadgets and other information technology related topics, lifestyle and many other stuff I would like to share to the public.

Fix Asus K52J Sound or Speaker Problem

I just got a new replacement company laptop for my 2 year acer dual core laptop. I now have Asus i3 K52J Series Laptop. Like everyone else using Lucid Lynx on their Asus. I had a problem with my sound and audio device and drivers.

Some of my problems were:
  • Speakers do not mute when headphones are plugged in.
  • HDMI sound out not working.
  • External microphone not working.
Thanks to this Ubuntu Forums Thread where a fix is posted though incomplete in my case. So, I decided to create one of my own and hope to help someone else looking for a solution online. The steps below are the things I did fixing this problem.
  • Download linuxtant alsa driver at www.linuxant.com. The file you need is alsa-driver-linuxant_1.0.23.0_all.deb.zip.
  • After downloading, extract the file and install by using gdebi-gtk(eg. gdebi-gtk alsa-driver-linuxant_1.0.23.0_all.deb). 
  • Open a terminal and run command "$alsamixer"
  • Unmute S/PDIF (you can do that pressing "m")
  • Below is a screenshot of my alsamixer with a headset attached to audio jacks.

Alright then, your set and ready... Hope this article helps! Have a good one...